Vixen Refractor A80MF 80mm f/11.4 with Porta Mount 3226
Item No. 105-10799
Eligible for Scope City Rewards at Check-out
Manuf. No. Vixen 39952
If you are looking to start out with something a little larger than a beginner scope, or need a better finderscope for your large telescope, the A80Mf is the one to buy. Although it is just 10mm larger than its smaller cousin the A70Lf, the extra aperture will revel more detail in solar system objects and the deep sky alike. You'll find yourself using the 80mm size for terrestrial viewing of ships on the ocean or whale watching. The A80Mf, although inexpensive, is not a toy telescope. It has the same quality glass and exacting workmanship that goes into Vixen's much larger instruments. The A80Mf attached to the Porta Mount moves easily and is stable when stopped. No tweaking of the hand controls is necessary like some other brands. I was able to smoothly track a pod of dolphin out at sea without loosing them and took a few images with my digital camera attached to the second port on the flip mirror diagonal.
The 80mm optics are 78% brighter than competitor's 60mm models, and gathers 130X more light than your unaided eyes. The Porta Mount is one of the best alt-azimuth mounts we've seen. It is easy to use, has slow motion control handles, and even a nifty tool compartment! Also comes with diagonal, two eyepieces, a finderscope, and mounting hardware. Unlike traditional refractors, the OTA easily disconnects from the mount for on-the-go use, allowing the entire telescope to easily fit in most compact cars. Best of all, when you are ready to grow into a bigger optical tube assembly, there's no need to ditch the mount! The Porta Mount easily accepts larger Vixen tubes!
Highlights of the Optical Tube
Highlights of the Porta Mount
- The Vixen A80Mf is an Achromatic Refractor with 80mm (3.2ý) of aperture.
- Its focal length is 910mm (3 ft.) with an f/ratio of 11.4.
- The A80Mf gathers 130 times more light than the human eye.
- It weighs about 5.5 lbs.
- The Porta Mount allows you to swing the telescope in the vertical and horizontal directions while maintaining position with simple friction. Simple friction holds the axes in the final position.
- The Porta Mount comes equipped with two fine adjustment handles for whole-circle slow motion in both directions. It is useful for fine motion used in searching and tracking of celestial objects.
- The "world-standard" dovetail attachment system on these mounts originated with Vixen. This allows the Porta Mount to accept various dovetail-mounted optical tubes.
- Slow motion handle positions and the amount of friction on the axes can be adjusted with tools conveniently located in the compartment under the rubber covering. This frees you from the trouble of forgetting the tools at home.
- Large tripod legs provide the Porta with solid, stable observation.
A80MF Refractor Specifications
- Porta Mount alt-azimuth mount and aluminum tripod
- A smaller 6-power finder telescope that attaches to the main scope to help you center the object.
- A 20mm eyepiece for general viewing.
- A 6.3mm eyepiece for those really clear nights for high power viewing.
- A diagonal prism that connects the eyepiece to the telescope.
- A Dew / Sun shield.
- Tube rings and dovetail plate to quickly attach the A80Mf to the included Porta Mount
- Optical Design: Achromatic Refractor
- Aperture: 3.2" (80mm)
- Limiting Visual Magnitude: 11.3
- Focal Ratio: f/11.4
- Focal Length: 35.8" (910mm)
- Optical Tube Dimensions: 3.5" x 33.9" (90mm x 860mm)
- Secondary Obstruction: N/A
- Focuser Design: Rack & Pinion
- Mount Type: Alt-Azimuth
- Weight - OTA: 5.5 lbs (2.5kg)
- Weight - Mount: 12.1 lbs (5.5kg)